History

In the British Period Tapang area was under the administration of Cachar District. In Silchar local Board circle no. 23rd and Revenue Sadar circle in the name of Chatla Porgana. The area is 20 k.m. away from Silchar & Hailakandi town, direction South West of Silchar & North-east of the Hailakandi on the Srikona-Mohanpur-Algapur Road.

The Total ares is 18 k.m. length & 11 k.m. breath, being total land approximately 16th thousand acre, long before people called the area 'TAPOBAN' which means sacred (holy) forest, now popularly known as Tapang. Others opine that Tou-pand is the name of a retired tribal army man who help the travellers at night with a lamp (Bamboo Moshal) for crossing the road in the dark jungle for safely from ferocious animals like tiger, elephant etc. After his death peoplw identified this location in the name of Taupang.

Various localities of this area had been renamed when it was associated with the Sepoy Mutiny. After revolting against the company's Raj, the 34th Native Infanity entered into this area of Cachar and hence we find names like Rontilla, Bandukmara, Bebulbeel, Jalenga, Darogakona surrounding Chatla Beel.

In the period of Kachari Kingdom (1772-1780) Raja Lakshmi Chandra Narayan visited with his soldiers at Halumbag now Alombag village near top hillock of Lakshmi-Tilla where Shiva Shila was ped worshipped by him. By Tradition every year annual fair is held here on the occasion of Shivaratri. Raja Krishna Chandra Narayan (1780-1813) allowed various people to settle down. During British period under the Cheif Commissioner Jenkinas (1834-61) Cachar Tea-company was founded. The company received 16,508 acres of land for the Tea Plantation in 1st May 1856. The Alambag Tea Trading Company recieved 500 Bigha land at 'Barsangon'. According to D. Dutta it's the first Tea plantation in the Cachar District.

The village name Chibita Bichia was originaly called Morichbond meaning Chilly forest. During the 1st settledment period a surveyor came from 'Civil' City in Italy. Therefore he was popularly known as Civit Saheb. Some schollers opine that Mr. Civit was an Italian Saheb who enter, in the Jalenga Tea Company as a Tea planter and a surveyor during Tea plantation Management work Civil Saheb fell in love local tribe local woman named 'Bichia'. For their with a memorable love story people called the village as Chibita Bichia, now recorded as a revenue village.