Geographical Description

The river 'Borni' is at present known as 'Katakhal'. Origin of the river is from Mizo (Lushai) Hills where the Mizo language called it 'Thelong'. In the south Hailakandi Dist border area cross the river at Vairabi The river divided into two part at Sahabad under Bornirpur Porgona; on the name of Katakhal & Dhaleswari. Both the river tributaries falls north in the main river Barak at Kalinagar & Panchgram. Cachar district in the east & Karimganj district in the west.

Historical Background

In the middle age the Borni Valley was under the administrative of Tripura Kings. That period their was occasional struggle and complit between the Luchai chiefs and Tripura Kings. On the 17th century Locknath & Morundanath two kings spread their kingdom in Cachar. Its copperplate of Shlhet. The next period the Kachari Kings & Tripura Kings came to an understanding for peace, after subduring the Luchaies. For the benefit of the local people the Kachari King dug big Ponds. Same of which still exist at SokalaDighi at Krishnapur. Some briks inscribed with Spimat Harishchandra Maharaj and Saka 14-9 are found lying that place. During that time many Benglee Ulmas where settled under Kachari Darber. In the fourteenth century the Muslim Saint Shah Jalal, people mainly Islam are settled. 1772-1780 Kachari King Lakshmi Chandra Narayan, 1780-1813 Krishna Chandra Narayan & 1813-1832 King Gobinda Chandra Narayan, the Kachari Kings continued their rule at capital Khaspur till 1830. Gobindra Chandra the last king after his passed into the hands of the East India Company. Under the Commissioner G. Jingkings, T. Fisher a surveyor cum suprintendent ruled in Cachar. The undivided Cachar, so called Barak Valley came under British rule in the year 1832 Dant School took the charge. During the British period in undivided Cachar the Tea Garden were established and the Tea Industries were developed. The Cachar Tea Company received 16,501 acre land for tea plantation. The pioneers of the tea planters being covered in the forest various area the tea garden where established. Borerpur or Bornirpur Tea Estate (Lala) & Burnie Breash Tea Estate (Salchapra) established before independence in the bank of the river 'Borni'.

In the year another historical importance of those area which was accurace Sepoy mutiny. Which is not known to the main stream of Indian historians. The fact was first board of the notice of the national samminer at Shillong the Sepoy Mutiny in Cachar.